Following an In-Place upgrade we wanted to enable server-side conversation history as its a new feature in Skype for Business and we already had Exchange 2013 available which is a prerequisite for this feature.
Server-side conversation history allows conversation history to be shared between desktop and mobile clients which was often a major pain that conversations on your Lync mobile client was separate and a nightmare to manage😦 boo.
- Skype for Business Server 2015
- Exchange 2013 or Exchange Online
- Exchange Partnership and integration setup and working on both Exchange and Skype for Business. Details here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688151.aspx
- Test Exchange Connectivity to ensure it configure and working correctly Test-CsExStorageConnectivity -SipUri “sip:firstname.lastname@example.org”
- Enable settings in Skype for Business.
Enable Server-Side Conversation History in Skype for Business
1. Enable Client Policy option
Theres an option in the Client policy that requires enabling use
This was set to false and i used to enable this in the global policy. Please note all client policies will need this to be true if more client policies exist.
Get-CsClientPolicy -Identity global |Set-CsClientPolicy -EnableServerConversationHistory $true
Following these changes it worked🙂
The experience i have found using the most up to date Lync Mobile clients for Windows Phone, IoS and Andriod.
- ios – works great and seems to work the best user experience of the three clients.
- Windows Phone – works but wasn’t refreshing. Removes option for delete all conversations and adds a refresh button instead but i couldn’t get this to work.
- Android – did not work at all
Items to check and are also required if not working following client policy enabling.
1. From Skype for Business Management Shell check is Server Side conversation history is enabled first. This was enabled by default for me.
2. Check Mobility Settings
Ensure Allow Save IM History is enabled
3. Check Client Policy
Check that disable saving IM is not enabled using
4. Check Exchange
Partnership and use test connectivity to ensure all exchange tests are succesful.