Starting to see recordings and videos popping up from Ignite and one i want to look into more is the architecture of Microsoft Teams, i know Teams hooks into and uses a lot of other Office365 services so I’m egger to learn more and also I’m hearing users Skype consumer so lets see what we find. The recording i found on YouTube and link is here
After watching this session the amount of questions was huge and took up nearly half the 1.15 hour sessions. Shows the amount of thinking of questions people have around Teams i really found it a great session and amazing question some i never thought of around business use cases and moving from SfB.
Also a lot of questions around compliancy, data locations as Teams hooks into so many Office365 services.
Two speakers Dan and Mark who do a great job and field a ton of questions from the audience.
- The three big principals of that Teams team started from for Microsoft Teams
- Designed for the cloud – take advantages of all new office365 services when they became available, all dependencies keep working and can respond quickly.
- Be agile at scale, roll out new features, make changes to services and keep things rolling
- Teams chat centric workspace and bring in lots of Office 365 capabilities bringing in Office365 Groups, SharePoint, Planner, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Office and Partner’s, bots and bring them better together!
- Teams is at the “hub” especially services side between office365 and Skype and built on Azure!
- Services we own in Teams are orchestrator layer, attached modern layers to chat and all built on Azure! I heard Azure but didn’t know it used so much. Great slide coming up on this.
- Series of clients, more efficient to let clients connect direct to other services
Let start with the Clients
- Web Client, desktop for windows and Mac, Mobile client, windows phone, iPhone, iPad and android – Great to see how many ways to use teams
- All mobile apps built from ground up to talk to all back ends
- Desktop shared with Web Architecture
- Desktop Electron shell for SSO and meetings and calling and screen sharing
- The guys say they love this approach and we can release the same feature to all platforms and web client is the same and when adding and rolling out features we can rollout and try out and then put out. Love the agility to add features quickly and deliver auto updates quickly on all platforms.
- Browsers fun to support, balancing layout is fun
- Desktops support as well
- This leaves out a lot of Office365 pieces and only covers conversation and doesn’t cover meetings and calling. It still show how many other services Teams hooks into.
- Starts with you (Blue person) the modern group created as part of a team
- each team has a SharePoint site
- each teams a set of channel and each have their own mapping to SharePoint
- each channel has tabs, excel, word, PowerBi right in channel
- Also go to channel and start meetings
- each channel has built in reply chain and threads, each chain its own messages and images!
- Big questions where is this stored ? coming up in Q and A
- As a user i do have to stay in teams and can have one on one chat and share one drive files one on one.
- These are the services the teams team own and teams built for team and not the dependent services.
- Teams take all of Office365 and modern Skype and bring together in chat centre workspace (The HUB) i see Teams mentioned as the Hub more and more.
- Used to have a larger middle tier and this wasn’t scalable and more complex, a lot of micro services and each with own function.
- Identity has AAD sync and authentication to check licences and handle mapping for Teams and Skype identity.
- Compliance we own audit and retention, fire events like creating channels, also shipping soon is retention services and pump most data to modern group mailboxes, information protection in exchange
- Pumping between Office and Chat, meetings and calling.
- Send emails if you haven’t received message in 90 minutes nice feature
- For config meta data in lots of different places
- A lot of stuff Teams own and lots of integration
- building this in the Cloud was fun
Teams and Skype
- A lot of chat from modern Skype side, Chat , media , search, powerful search in Teams, URL preview service, notification hub and on calling and meeting side some are in common with Skype for Business and some modern Skype stack, all set of teams working together.
- Config and experimentation and select users to tests,
- Also identity and how map AAD users into Skype world and guest access uses permission service.
- and on the Office side! theres platforms and applications
- Office in two ways a platform and application amplified in Teams
- Big platform is Exchange, calendar, groups, SharePoint, videos in streams, OneDrive or business and information protection
- We didn’t want to have to rebuild any this from Exchange or other apps, Microsoft already does this very well and easier to take a bet on that platform.
- Applications – OneNote, PowerApps and surface all in tabs and PowerBi
- Be the App Hub vision
Built on Azure !
- Pretty much built on all of it!
- Teams talks to different parts of Microsoft, store data in Azure and user key vault, azure storages, Azure AD, caches in a lot of places, Azure allows global footprint quickly,
- Teams came out pretty fast and was a lot down to getting it out in Azure.
- Running on Teams internally more than preview and start scaling and pushing out to more regions was key and great on Azure.
- So teams leverages the power and scale of Azure to deploy quickly that’s a another great use of Microsoft technology that’s already in place. Why reinvent the wheel.
This was pretty much the only slide used before, gets confusing but gives a good look to see how it all communicates
- Create a team
- Calls teams service and gets inform from backing store, call out to modern group, call out to SharePoint, call out to chat service and come back and has a team.
- The client talking direct to chat and presence services and talk direct to next generation calling you don’t want it to talk to teams service.
- Lower right – notification hub, email service and in middle tier it hooks in for activity bells, with mentions and hang out a delay queue and say you missed a message.
Mark talks a lot about data services and where it goes now
- Teams available in 181 countries in 25 Languages! OMG! and thats since March i believe.
- Achieved this by Azure in three regions, customer data at rest resides in region on tenant affinity.
- Chat services and Files stored differently a question that kept coming up in Q and A.
- Q4 store chat data in UK and Q1 2018 India and continue to invest in more
- Working to make Teams available in Government datacentre and part of G SKUs
- Microsoft Teams backed by Groups and users AD groups as well, add more member in Teams UI and move in AAD and sync to Teams. Sync averages 15 minutes but SLA is 24 hours
- Number of events synced today
- Chat service behind teams, more processing happens in memory, backed by Azure storage down to Exchange, Images in separate media store.
- Files built on SharePoint and OneDrive for Business
- Scale and compliancy
- Chat with someone uploaded to Onedrive and permission set to who your chatting with
- Conversation in a team and upload to SharePoint folder to channel and permissions to members of the teams
- Don’t need lots of different versions
- Additional cloud storage added, dropbox, googledrive added
- Chat in teams to chat service
- Substrate service check chat and looks what to do, chat published in hidden folder in each participant mailbox
- on premises onto exchange goes to cloud storage for each user
- Team conversation published to hidden in hidden folder in group mailbox associated to team
- e-discovery tools become available or legal hold, retention policies to get rid of data and delete chats after 30 days and these are coming soon. more detail in tomorrow session Q4 2017
- Audit logs – internally was used as when testing a team was deleted and was found to be a developer who accidently deleted it.
- Huge effort to build Guest access and you can see security was not comprised.
- Guest access built on Azure Active Directory B2B platform
- Managed guest direct in Azure AD and revoke access in on place
- Host tenant invites guest, AD token created in host tenant not just used by teams bit other 365 services.
- Some on Exchange Online, Exchange On premises
- Meeting and Exchange connectors are impacts, some pieces will only work with Exchange Online so important to note.
That’s it and time for Q and A and boy was that a lot of them! Shows the interest and questions around Teams.
Access rights, invite external users, creates B2B account ?
Really dedicated doing it with Azure B2B and rest of Office team, added through B2b and guest of tenant and allows access as guest for all other services not just teams
Online vs. On premises, If you have on premises, meeting affect, what about Skype on premises?
Teams will still function with Skype on premises
Meeting scheduling compared to SfB?
With on premises SfB it schedules and replicates in Databases and SfB cokes if i schedule 1000 meetings at once a person said.
Wanted investment in bulk meeting management, how its set up is, talking to exchange calendaring for scheduling meetings.
Person had scenario where they have a contact centre built on sfb and looking at future and port to teams we make heavy user of conferencing in teams and make sure it works.
Comment announcement on Teams replacing SfB and timing?
Timing is teams today superset of SfB a lot of core in place now and more things to come, for example data residency SfB is in place, not times and dates for 100% features, most customers love Persistent chat and some want chats to disappear like SfB.
Key thing to wait for was calling and was a big thing and US government where SfB is available today but not for Teams. Most happening most of next year.
One slide mentions files stored in OneDrive for business but who’s ?
Chat and teams conversation, if you initiate the chat its stored in your OneDrive for business, teams in SharePoint
Is there currently or plans to enable admin to create new teams ?
Yes, definitely on the roadmap coming soon and sometime this year
Company has made heavy use of meeting scheduling, and SfB and Lync update broke this ? Is delegation in teams?
eventually, next SfB server next year and teams want to make all on SfB successfully, have to get there.
Wasn’t clear on delegate question but i think will come in time.
In teams can we limit connections to teams?
More info on session tomorrow, demo tomorrow
Is there a way to consolidate views if I’m part of multiple teams and see all conversation, to catch up on all conversation
There is a feed via activity feed, several different views
Two admin Q’s, support naming conventions, browse for existing teams and don’t create duplicates ?
You can browse teams now, bottom left add team, did show public but now shows private teams as well and request to join as well and owner approve ?
And naming, groups supports this and Teams honours this and tried today and didn’t work but its pretty new. Not out in public yet but its coming!
Teams calendar features, special consider for EWS epically if vNext?
If nNext no
Integration with storage such as box, capability to allow replacement for OneDrive storage ?
no plans for that, look at over time
Compliance how exchange on premises stored in Azure blob, what happens when mailbox moved online ?
intent to merge but not confirmed
Channels – possible to have permissions on channels?
top ask and working on, private channels coming
Dealing with tenant mergers – what do we do with teams ? is there’s a clear path ?
Not of the box and in conversation with Azure AD and exchange for now not supported.
Can you define retention for team conversation?
Coming this year for chats and teams channel message
create teams and create lots of different site collections and define lifecycles, management, provisioning lifecycle
plans to make data available and telemetry and needs to come to teams, tenant and owner of team level
Data stored in local country?
based on tenant affinity where your office365 tenant was signed
Any changes on new EU data privacy laws?
GDPR working hard to support that ahead of deadline, some session on Office GDPR, teams and all of Office365 working towards that.
Regarding to conferencing hardware, currently Skype room system, surface hub, when do we expect these to talk to teams or Teams mode ?
Over course of next year, same teams that own SRS and Teams so all working together on this.
How auth working with desktop, seems like on VPN authenticate to teams and then break vpn. Teams working without not re auth back in?
Using standard Azure Authentication, two factor get applied, token used to renew, a lot on tenant policy and default 60mins on token refresh, a lot of tenant setup
Raise limit on no of people who can be in teams, doc?
Yes raise limits on people in teams, current limit 999 people in team
Doc library instead of folders?
yes you add these separately
Compliance and where chat stored?
Chat stored in mailbox in exchange online in hidden folder but uk dc would come in Q4 2017 but already exchange online mailboxes somewhere else
Chat service in region, UK data stored in Dublin and Amsterdam, when mailbox published, today chat are stored in mailbox and chat service. Chat service in memory store and backing storage mailbox, separate pump to push data to mailbox
Need Azure storage in country is need as chat service has data not in country at the moment.
Chat storage and guest access, are messages stored in mailbox for guests ?
Both stored in mailbox? where’s storage for guest ? guest in cloud storage in chat service. things then pumped into right parts of exchange
Will it be possible to integrate new teams with existing SharePoint’s sites ? combine ? or is their checks on existing dis list for name conflicts ?
Leverage existing SharePoint and you can add via Tabs now, don’t have ability to covert existing SharePoint to teams.
Yes, naming of groups is checked
Conferencing hardware, current solution, 3rd party supports sip dialling will teams ?
Good question for meetings and calling session
clarify is Teams going to replace Skype for Business ?
announcement moving from SfB to teams, support everyone and when teams ready you can move
Exchange UM or UM online or Azure VM? hows it work for Teams ?
Same mail folder as SfB
Hybrid and SfB?
SBC to cloud voice
Roadmap for Skype broadcast ?
rolling out more in roadmap, nothing specific at the mo, over the next 12 to 18 months more SfB moving to Teams.
27 countries and different data residency and e discovery? if teams has different member from different countries how to ensure data residency
tenant mapped to region, haven’t started different controls at different
either in region or go local
more to come
SharePoint Hybrid, how does hybrid host team sites that are created ?
Can have SharePoint hybrid, Teams would use SharePoint Online only and wouldn’t point on premises.
Lifecycle of team and all related components?
teams create o365 group and SharePoint, similar to yammer will there be tighter coupling
if you delete a team will other component stay there, AAD sync will come and soft delete.
Able to sign into teams with different login ids?
Guest access built for one person gust to host, looking at moving of being in multiple tenant, will keep working on this.
Same tenant, two login id’s in same tenant, sign in with first ID and then also sign same desktop app with different ID, not priority but talk after
Requirement audit access or failed access into Teams, audio options limited currently?
Audit logs of people accessing people they shouldn’t, good feedback
Backup contents of Teams ?
Part of GDPR effort, way to backup a teams
achieve in Exchange today, working on this
Calling working in Teams? one to one chat where does media flow ?
Peer to Peer
Add third person it goes relay thought the cloud
Conference with 100 participants
Similar to SfB, single AV MCU where meetings is homed.
Home conference owner and one place to control that.
300,000 users looking at hybrid ? Will Teams work with hybrid
Teams – always cloud
SfB hybrid support yes, teams chat hosted in the cloud.
No on premises workload for Teams.
Very document centric use SharePoint online for, meta data, workflow and custom permission level, is this an option in the future ? Do we have to do this in backend on SharePoint as it break things?
Teams tries to pull it all together probably wont allow teams to do it.
If this is requirement and only in SharePoint online for meta data, workflows, custom permission, Teams only provisions SharePoint sites and set permissions and everything else.
Come see us after
PSTN Calling using SfB Online PSTN calling features, what if PSTN calling is not available and you have to use CCE?
Sea change for hybrid voice and pushing to CCE, still doing this and now seeing reason for on premises SIP trunk and certifying SBCs to connect direct to Office
CCE not needed in the future
Certified SBC connection to Cloud, sip trunking on premise and manage in the cloud
SharePoint online search app, will all files be searchable?
Files searchable, separate search for chat and separate for people