So wanted to give a summary of the Microsoft teams videos series available on Success with Team Microsoft site here in the academy section.
Similar to the Skype Academy videos series i wanted to summarise the video in a blog post for myself and hopefully people may find this useful. I recommend watching the video as well if you have time.
Some great downloads to start with on Team planning and guidance.
- Teams Bandwidth Calculator
- Practical Guidance Document Download
- Planning Workshop Kit
First up we have introduction to Microsoft Teams which is a good start.
This is part 1 of a two part series
As usual with Cloud based solutions a training disclaimer and information is valid as of March 2017 and innovation is on-going.
We will learn about What is Microsoft teams and introduction, features and requirements.
Key Learning’s on Teams
Teams is a Chat based collaboration hub allowing ad-hoc and scheduled meetings with audio, video and sharing. Teams is based on channels and can be extended.
Out of scope for this session in Part 1, this is included in Part 2 which ill summarise soon.
This training has already been updated since preview so if you have already seen this content previously look out for the banner in the top right and ill try and flag this as well.
Introduction to Microsoft Teams
First we need to look at the way we work has changed.
- People are part of 2 times the amount of teams when compared to 5 years ago
- Amount of time on meeting calls and meeting has increased by 50%
- This type of work takes up to 80% more of their time
- Also noted are team members are internal and external, geographical dispersed
Team fits in Office 365 collaboration portfolio by giving teams easy access to information via a team based hub.
- People can see content and chat history anytime, if your familiar with Lync / SfB persistent chat is similar in the way it has chat history and chat isn’t lost when you close the client.
- Chats are team based or private and there is mobile access on most mobile platforms so teams can be accessed anywhere on any device.
Its not just chat its content
Also easy assess to apps to what teams rely on.
Customizable for each teams with different channels for topics
Security is important designed for great experience to protect customer and team data.
Built upon existing services in Office 365 to unify collaboration into one place
Teams – group of people working on a project
- Look into the UI, you see the Northwind trader team highlighted with multiple channels marked as a favourite
- option to swap between activity, chat, teams, meetings and files on left hand side of the ui.
- search bar is global search
- Teams can be added as security, distribution groups, email aliases or individually
- Private Office 365 groups can be migrated straight to team.
- Team creation is lower left hand corner with team name, description and has privacy setting choose from public or private
- General channel is default and cant be removed.
- Public teams viewable by all and all people can find them.
- 999 people max people size
- Channel are the building blocks of Teams !
- To view channels under teams they must be marked as a favourite, other channels are viewable from the more button.
- Discussions in progress on a favourite channel is marked in bold
- any users can create channels on any topic
- try and keep discussion around the channel
- activity in the channels are presented via a toast notification
- any users can follow a channel
- Team Owner
- Team Member
- Up to 10 Owners per team!
- Owners have most rights
- manage team settings, rename team and delete teams
- TM can still create channels within a team
- up to 999 people per team
- edit channel names and descriptions
- add tabs connectors and bots can be removed by team owners
Some sample teams and channels
Great to have some examples or teams and their team channels.
Product Team A shows Cross department teams as well.
- threaded conversation so replies don’t get lost.
- New topics can be started as well using text box at the bottom.
- GA update auto scroll is released so messages in flight will be added and viewable if open on screen.
- Message composer for adding text, updated with keyboard shortcuts and optimized for text entry.
- Updated from preview
- Channel has unique email address and can be directly emailed
- replies only visible in teams
- Like and save messages
- Like added a thumbs up
- save for later adds bookmark icon which can be viewed later
Activity shows your like and saved messages in order across all teams your apart of.
- Documents uploaded are stored in SharePoint site thats created when team is created
- Upload can be new thread or existing.
- Mention team members using @
- or whole team if enabled by team owners
for a bit of fun as well in teams we have
Team conversation are public but Teams also has private chat.
- Use the chat icon on the left hand side to view private chats
- Chat you can have audio and video and mobile one to one calling
- Private chats can be group chats for up to 9. Chats are not threaded
Private chats can also share files but a difference here is the file is stored in your OneDrive for Business accounts and shared out from there.
- Use the meet now icon in compose box or from existing conversation
- Only available on desktop clients
When in a meeting you can invite people by clicking on the people names and it will send a toast notification to join the meeting.
- Team members can see who in a meeting with the camera icon appears next to channel name and they can see who’s in the meeting
- You can join into a meeting
- If you not in the meeting you can still see the chat in the meeting
- Full screen video experience (similar to SfB Mac Client)
- Content with Video in bottom right hand view
- four most active member in video can be swapped
- click on any active member to swap to video and content preview
Really nice touch i think
- Team members can see when meeting took place and who with and what was discussed in the text.
- useful is certain member of the team weren’t available at that time.
- Meeting scheduled in teams or Outlook
- Viewable in team client under meeting icon on left hand bar
- Details of meeting invite
- join online meeting either in SfB or team
- SfB meetings will launch SfB
- New meetings can be created
- when invitees are added suggested times are suggest
- Tabs are always visible along the top
- default tabs , files in files
- new wiki tab you can draft docs collaborate, work and work in all one tab
Add tabs such as
- PowerBI reports
- Secure Websites
- tracking tasks
- work items
- ideal for project management in familiar kamban board
New for GA – Wiki tab you can draft docs, chats, notes edit and share ideas in all one place.
the tab or all tabs
- Chat about a tab and track document comments and discussion all in one place
You can even develop your own tabs !
integrated with Office 365 connectors
to add click the three dot
Option to discover bots and drag and drop
- have to mention the bot to communicate with it.
- bots helps aiding adoption
- Custom bot new in GA
Client Managed settings
Team owner settings
- Set contact rating
- set more resticted setting than tenant
any user can customise the notification setting including SfB interop
Licencing is important as always
- Above are the SKUs required for team, most enterprise with E1, E3 or E5 are already licenced for teams!
- E4 gone but not forgotten with teams
Recommend to have Exchange Online with users mailbox online and SharePoint Online
Practical guidance doc has more information if you don’t meet these requirements
- unsupported web browsers will be BLOCKED and recommended to use mobile or supported client
interactive workshop and bandwidth calculator
There’s alot of good stuff here!
References and Resources above
Teams Bandwidth Calculator
Practical Guidance Document Download
Planning Workshop Kit