Been meaning to write this down for while as I can never remember fully. So wanted to blog this to record it mainly for myself.
By default Lync provides no Cumulative updates for Lync Phone Edition Devices you can check from the Lync Control Panel as shown below. in my lab i have aastra and Polycom so lets get the latest Aastra LPE update for my lab first.
To start lets just review the current current LPE updates if any are available and approved.
Also LPE updates are uploaded and stored in the Lync File Share here we can see there are none.
1. From the Lync Updates here select the model of LPE handset that you have HP, Aastra or Polycom and download the latest CU update.
2. Copy update to your Lync Server for example “UCUpdates.exe”
3. Double click and run UCUpdates.exe
4.Select Language – for me that english and click next
5. select accept if you agree after you have read the agreement of couse then click Next>
6.Select Location to extract update to
7. Once the bad boy is extracted click Finish
8. After all that you will see one new file “ucupdates.cab”
9. Time to get Lync management shell on the go
10. We need “import-csDeviceUpdate –identity service:WebServer: –filname
11. Press Enter
12. Following this lets look at whats happened following this update
Lync File Share now has Aastra folder and models
Following this we STILL need to approve updates and i recommend setting up a test device to test updates first.
13. Lets setup a test device
14. Click New select either Global or Site test device
15. Add a Device Name as you wish and select identifier type.
For MAC Address enter the MAC address of the LPE device. You can view this can the phone selecting menu system info. Do NOT enter : or – only digits and characters.
After the device is specified as a Test Device
16. Make a note of the current version of the LPE handset and the new version you are installing. So you can check later.
17. To trigger the update ive tried to reboot handsets before and waited 10 minutes of non acitivity on the handset but overall ive seen mixed results and updates have done it when they wanted so be very patient here and check it later in the day and check by checking the software version and see if it changed.
18. After the test device has been updated go to Device update and approve all the updates. Select all and from action select approve.
19. After approving the updates monitor the updates which you can also do from the Lync Monitoring reports.